- Gas was first sold in 1965.
- The automotive radiator business was purchased in 1984.
- Plastic welding was started in the 1988.
Members of LPG Association.
Arthur Cates Ltd
26 McNally Street
Tel: 03 308 5397
Tel : BOC - 03 308 8339
Tel : Radiators - 03 308 6440
Arthur Cates Ltd was established in Ashburton, Mid Canterbury in 1908 when Arthur Cates, a former teacher and gas works employee, decided to start his own plumbing and gas fitting business. His premises was in Havelock Street, next door to where the Ashburton Museum is.
The business grew rapidly and in 1922 the move was made to the current Burnett Street premises where Reid and Grey were.
In 1924 Arthur Cates took over the Reid and Grey agency and sold ploughs, cultivators, milking machines and pumps, as well as water pumps. Upon his death in 1948 his sons Tom and Arthur (AV) took over the company.
Today the company is run by Daryl Cates (AV's son).